Thursday, April 30, 2009

FLOOD

It's the day after we had a flash flood run through Gainesville.

I had to leave my car at work and drive a truck home the water over the street was over the headlights, on more than one occasion the water pushed the truck sideways a little bit but I was able to keep it on the road. When I got home, I live on the higher side of town and there was not but about 8-9 inches in the streets in my neighborhood. Unfortunately there is no curb in the ally that runs behind my back yard and I had 8-9 inches over my garden as well.
You can see the raised beds that I put in for the strawberries in the middle of the yard.. they are aligned with the left end of the garden. Directly above them you can see the rows of carrot tops and lettuce, but that big area to the right of them is submerged beans, onions and jalapenos! I have not mowed in two weeks so what looks like dry ground is really just where the grass sticks up above the water. My whole yard was standing or running water last night.

It was pretty dark and my camera tried to focus on the rain drops instead of the yard, but I took a couple pictures from the back door. I hope everything dries out and comes back up. The forecast has rain in it four of the next five days. I suppose I will be saving money on my water bill, I hope it's as much as the plants I'll have to replace cost me 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment