Thursday, April 23, 2009

First Salad

Well here we are April 23 and I took the thinning of my lettuce crop inside today and whipped up a delicious salad for my wife and I. It's been a while sense I planted my seed, but I consider lettuce a total success it was delicious and I know it will only get better and better as the season goes on and I'm able to add more ingredients from my very own, very first garden.

Salad:
  • 1. Bowl of lettuce from the garden
  • 1. Can of chunk chicken breast
  • 3. Slices of bacon (torn to bits)
  • 1/2 cup. Cheddar Cheese
  • 2. Hard Boiled eggs
  • Small Can of Sliced Olives
  • Carrots (peelings)
  • 1/2 cup. steamed broccoli
  • 1/4 cup. chopped onion
Topped with croutons and ranch dressing, served with garlic toasted french bread. This was a very filling meal for the two of us.

I have a tendency to believe that the reason this salad was so good to me is all the work that went into this tiny harvest, All the ups and downs and the rewarding nature of what I always thought of as a "simple hobby." If I only get one more salad this summer I feel like my efforts were well spent.

1 comment:

  1. This salad sounds good. I've been doing a little yarn work all was going good till I ran into a copper head. I tried my best to get rid of it but it exscaped to I don't know where and that was the problem. It's very hard to continue working when you don't want to squat down because you know you can't move as fast as the snake. I think he was hiding in the monkey grass around my folwer bed but being as that goes all the way around i really felt like he could be any where as you know Danny snakes don't bother me if i can kill them and remove them from my area. But this is still hiding so I came to the house and gave up. In my defense it was the last flower bed that needed work today. I'm sure i'm only weeks away from geting my water thing working and set up in the front circle. we will see. I somtimes get side tracked from my great ideas. Keep on gardening. mom

    ReplyDelete