Thursday, April 15, 2010

Almost all planted

Well I have taken an awfully big bite this spring, I hope I can chew it. It's the middle of April and I'm still not done planting. So much for my early start. Anyway I'm lacking my peppers, but I'll list what I have in the ground already.
  1. Lettuce
  2. Onions
  3. Potatoes
  4. Asparagus
  5. Chives
  6. Garlic
  7. Cucumbers
  8. Corn
  9. Green Beans
  10. Zucchini Squash
  11. Tomatoes
  12. Pumpkins
  13. Cantaloupe
  14. Watermelon
  15. Strawberries
  16. Thyme
  17. Oregano
  18. Basil
  19. Cilantro
I have still to plant:
  1. Bell peppers
  2. Jalapeno peppers
It seems this year I'm working much harder, and getting less done so far. However if I get 20% of what the packages say to expect I'll have plenty to make the effort worth it. I've decided that I do not have as good a soil as I would like. It holds moisture well, but it is a much heavier soil than I had accessed last year. I've noticed this year I am dealing with big clumps of dirt when I try to plant seeds. I did amend the soil when I tilled the garden with leaves and compost, but I did not have nearly enough compost to do it proper.

My schedule is so busy that I do most of my yard work and gardening in the short window of opportunity I get each day that my daughter takes a nap. However we planted our beans, corn, and squash together. She is the cutest little helper, but we usually take two steps back for every one forward.

This is Cami Bringing me the corn seeds while trampling the garlic and chives.
Below you can see her diligent efforts as she places each seed in the exact spot that my finger touched the ground as I told her to plant it.


The next picture is a reference of scale. I planted three rows of corn with the beans and squash mixed in. You can see the rows clearly in the first picture and here I've placed a hoe on the ground with a couple seed packets to show where the beans and squash seeds are. Between them corn is planted ever three inches and the pattern repeats itself.


If the veggies in my garden are not too over crowded and everything comes up I'm hoping there is not enough room for weeds. although I don't think it's likely to work out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment