Tuesday, March 31, 2009

And Finally! the garden

I borrowed a tiller from my wife's grandfather. It didn't run, I broke the pull string, and one of the weels fell off. So the garden was not tilled that day. However my skull is pretty thick so I loaded it up and took it back to him borrowing his other tiller. Haha! Success, and the following day I put some plants in the ground. I think I should have waited a while after tilling to do my actual planting..? Does it matter?
Anyway I had some plants started inside that I purchased as seeds. They were doing well inside they were about 2" tall and had two little leaves on each one. I had tomatos, bell peppers, and jalepino peppers all at this stage. I was in a hurry to put them out, because I had family coming in and needed the extra room for my guests. The weather had been nice the last couple weeks (70's) so I thought they would be safe from freeze and what not. After my little plants had been in the ground nearly a week, we had a big storm that I am sure was hard on them, and it got down to freezing! Yak! I was unable to cover them until after the damage was done because I was working that night. Also I think they may have been more likely to survive better if they were farther along in their lives. I'm pretty sure I lost about 80% of my tomatos and 60% of my peppers. I am not happy about this, but I'm crossing my fingers for the plants that survived. I planted onions, carrots, and lettuce as well. So far not seeing much, but my lettuce is coming up nicely.
Just to see what would happen I stuck a clove of garlic in the ground next to my onions. It has exploded. I only wish I new that you are supposed to plant them in the fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment