Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tuesday, March 26, 2009.

It's a yucky day outside so I decided to start a blog. Please don't hold it against me but this blog is really more for myself to keep track of my own progress, and maybe gain knowledge from those that are able to correct me.

I live in North Texas, about 5 minutes from Oklahoma. I believe that this puts me in the plant hardiness/whatever zone of 7b by one of the standards I can't remember which. With that being said you now know the degree that I'm willing to go to research and study on a subject before diving into a new project. This has also been my preparation tactics to begin my blog. So I will not be able to add pictures and what else for the time being, I've lost my camera.

The basic background of my garden to this point: My Wife and I purchased our home in Oct '08. It had been sitting empty for nearly a year and had the grass mowed about 3 times. So at the first signs of spring I started working on the lawn, cutting trees and brush from around the fence. (I wish I had before pictures) And I sowed some grass seed. I decided that I had enough room in the back yard to put in a small vegetable garden. {Ok so now you know my goal, grow veggies} There was also a flower bed in front of the house that seems almost toxic! I'll get to that some other time. In the backyard I borrowed a tiller from my wife's grandfather and turned a spot over. In my impatience I planted the next day the seeds that I had started inside which I don't think were ready to come outside. But we can discuss that later.

So I sorta had grass now, but mostly I have dirt, with some tiny little sprouts of various vegetables coming up, but I have no idea how to tend to any of it. I read a couple of forums often http://www.helpfulgardener.com & http://www.theeasygarden.com. I also spend a lot of time looking at BYC but my wife says absolutely NO CHICKENS!

Well Check back soon I'll get some more details on what I've done and how I've messed up, what I learned to save you some time effort and perhaps money.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Danny :) Just popped over from Helpful Gardener forum via your link to find out about you. Loved reading your blog. It is so funny. I love the fact you persevere through all your mistakes. One of the early signs of a true gardener in the making. Nice to make your aquaintance.
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess, I'm actually quite surprised to see a comment on my blog I'm sorry it took me so long to catch it :) I love helpful gardener, I don't post much as most of my questions have already been answered in other post. It's a priceless resource for me.

    ReplyDelete